Sunday, August 16, 2009

in the beginning - there was a Pirate Ship...

My cake adventures began about 2 years ago, when I decided to make a cake for my friend & colleague Danielle. Her birthday coinsides with the start of school, so I had time to "play" before I had to go back to work. I had been drooling over cake/cooking shows, sites, & books for a while. While visiting back home, I bought & tested fondant for the first time... I figured this was the time to just go for it.
I baked, stacked & carved. I made chocolate ganache & modeling chocolate from Collette's Wedding Cakes. The masts were pretzel rods & the sails were paper (*gasp* non-edible! haha) It looked... alright... I was fairly happly with it (I took it to work, so I wasnt too embarrassed by it! haha) I wish I had a picture of it... Danielle took one with her phone, but it is long gone now...
I say this is the start of my cake adventures because the idea of having cake for everyones birthday [the group of us who eat lunch together] was very popular (imagine that! haha) Crystal was in love with the ganache and promptly put in her order. I asked for flavors & themes from everyone and got to work... the rest is history (to be chronicaled here hehe)

No comments:

Post a Comment